Health benefits of dates fruits? Are dates fruits healthy? Dates fruit are oval shaped, fleshly, sweet and produce one seed. Dates are fruits that come from the date palm tree, they grow large clusters which hang on top of these palm trees. Usually dates vary in sizes, color and taste. They are one of the sweetest fruits around. Apart from its natural high content of sugar dates contain massive nutritional health benefits. This article will reveal the amazing health benefits of dates fruits ranging from its vitamin, mineral and fiber content.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF DATES FRUITS
Are dates fruits healthy? Dates are stacked with essential vitamins and minerals. They contain fiber, calcium, zinc, potassium, iron and zinc. They are also famous for their rich antioxidants contents which help prevent various diseases like cancer. All these make dates extremely healthy. Lets examine the health benefits of dates fruits.
- REGULATES CHOLESTEROL LEVELS: Date fruits are free from cholesterol and contain little fat. They are also rich in soluble fiber. Adding date fruits to your daily diet in little quantities can help you regulate your cholesterol levels and aids weight loss.
- PROMOTE BRAIN HEALTH: Dates fruits protects the body against oxidative stress and inflammation of the brain. Eating dates on a regularly has been linked to lowered risk of neurodegenerative disease and better psychological performance in older people.
- PROMOTES DIGESTION: One of the amazing benefits of dates fruits is that it contains soluble fiber which can promote digestive health and help treat constipation. Fiber content in dates also help prevents cancer of the digestive system. Including at least 20 to 35 grams of fiber to your daily diet may help promote digestive health and aid comfortable digestion.
- REDUCES CANCER RISK: Certain abdominal cancers such as ovarian cancer, renal cancer and more are one of the world’s deadly diseases. However, dates have shown to have peculiar properties that may help to reduce the risk and impact of abdominal cancer. Eating date daily can help a lot in reducing the occurrence of benign too.
MORE HEALTH BENEFITS OF DATES FRUITS
- PROMOTES HEART HEALTH: Dates are high in potassium which improves heart health and keeps it in good shape. They help fight off free radicals and prevent cardiovascular diseases. Dates contain fiber. According to a UK study intake of fiber regularly may lower the risk of coronary heart disease.
- BOOST ENERGY: Date fruits are high in natural sugar like fructose, glucose and sucrose. As a result certain countries make use of dates for an instant energy after fasting.
- IMPROVES SKIN: Date fruits contain anti-aging properties thereby preventing the accumulation of melanin in your body. In this case, vitamin C and D helps keep the skin smooth and work on the elasticity of the skin. Therefore adding date fruits to your diet might help improve your skin health in the long run.
- IMPROVES BONE HEALTH: Dates are packed with essential minerals such as copper and magnesium which makes them a perfect food for strengthening bones. They can do wonders in keeping your bones healthy and prevent conditions such as osteoporosis. However date fruit are rich in vitamin K which can help metabolize your bones. Including date fruits to your diet can help strengthen your bone health throughout your life.
FURTHER HEALTH BENEFITS OF DATES FRUITS
- Prevent night blindness
- Prevent Hemorrhoids
- Prevents intoxication
- Prevent inflammation
- Protect kidneys
- Encourage healthy weight gain
- Reverse anemia
This article has discussed few of the health benefits of dates fruits. However, the next time you are craving for something sweet instead of going for candy opt for date fruit. They are sweet and good for the health.
WHEN DATE FRUITS MIGHT NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU; SIDE EFFECT OF DATE FRUITS
Health benefits of date fruits are numerous to mention, but just like every other thing, dates has its pros and cons. They are good sources of fiber and lots of nutrients which are good for the health, however eating dates in excessive amounts can be harmful. This article will discuss the side effects of date fruits.
- BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS: Dates are sweet and can affect your blood sugar levels due to its content of high natural sugar and calorific value. They are rich in glucose, fructose, sucrose and have a glycemic index of 103 which is higher than that of a glucose. Hence excessive consumption of dates is not beneficial for those who suffer from diabetes.
- INCREASE WEIGHT GAIN: Dates are high in fiber, calories and energy density which can contribute to unequaled weight gain. Date fruits contain 2-2.8 calories per gram, as a result they are medium energy density foods and thus lead to weight gain.
- SKIN RASHES: Dates are dried fruits and can cause skin rashes. This is because molds are present in many dried fruits which dates fruits are one of them.
OTHER SIDE EFFECTS OF DATES FRUITS
- Tooth decay
- Abdominal issues
- Asthma attacks
- Wax coating
- Unhealthy for babies
- Fructose intolerance
These side effects should not make you shun eating date. Besides they occur when you take date fruits in excessive amounts. Dates should be eaten in moderately, at least not more than 10 dates a day.
CAN DATE FRUITS GO BAD; HOW TO STORE DATE FRUITS
Like all fruits, dates can go bad, but they can last quite a long time. They taste best when they are able to retain their moisture. Therefore this article will discuss how to store date fruits properly.
- Room temperature: To store dates for about a month or less, room temperature is okay. Keep date fruits in a cool and dry place away from heat. The pantry or cabinet in the kitchen is a good place. Dried date fruits can be kept in an airtight container or resealable bag, away from the stove or oven as well. The more it sits for a longer time their flavor diminishes.
- Refrigerating: Soft date can be stored in the fridge to retain its flavor and freshness. To store dates for a long term consider putting them in a resealable freezer bag. Thus they will not pick up any smell and will dry not out in the storage. Ripe dates can stay up to 12 months in the fridge.
- Freezing: To store dates for a prolonged period freezing is a good option. Put in a resealable bag and squeeze out the air. Leave some space in between the dates because dates expand while freezing. Consider double wrapping or instead put in an airtight plastic container instead of a plastic bag. It is necessary that the date fruits do not come in contact with cold air. Dried dates can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 years.
Unlike all other fruits, dates have a very low content of moisture-30%. As they dry, the water content diminishes. They contain mainly sugar which can be stored in different temperatures for a longer time.
For thousands of years now, dates have been known for its recuperating properties. Dates fruits are sweet which makes it a great option for sugar when sweetening your smoothies and desserts. This article discussed the incredible health benefits of dates fruits ranging from cholesterol levels to heart health. Hence when next you are craving for a sweet snack opt for date fruits due to its healing properties.