Health benefits of garlic. Have you ever thought of why garlic is good for you? This vegetable is a bulbous perennial plant, strong scented and pungent tasting bulb. Some people shy away from it because of its offensive aroma. However do you know that garlic has a great deal of exceptional health benefits? Its distinctive aroma is due to the content of organic sulfur compound-allicin. It is used widely for its spicy flavor as a seasoning or condiment that sweetens the taste of your food. Its powerful smell makes it a healthy addition to your diet. This article will discuss the health benefits of garlic.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GARLIC
Garlic is a colossal wellspring of calcium, manganese, selenium and phosphorus. It contains vitamin C, vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 and copper. It is additionally low in immersed fat, cholesterol and sodium. Let’s look at the incredible health benefits of garlic.
LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE
Hypertension is the world’s biggest killer and the major cause for premature death. Uncontrolled high blood pressure is likewise associated with memory impairment. Therefore the content of allicin a sulfur compound in garlic is powerful in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is a natural blood thinner and aids in stabilizing high blood pressure.
IMPROVES CHOLESTEROL LEVELS
Garlic has the ability to help lower fatty accumulations in blood vessels, thus helping to combat heart attack. It appears to lower total cholesterol and LDL low density lipoprotein) in individuals with high cholesterol levels. HDL (High density lipoprotein) and triglycerides- a factor for heart disease do not seem to be affected. Garlic ought not to be taken before surgery or with blood-diminishing medications, like Coumadin.
Garlic contains cancer fighting compounds such as allicin, selenium and allyl sulfides. These antioxidants and antibacterial properties help to prevent cancer and to enhance genetic repair and slow down cell proliferation. Lower rates of stomach cancer are due to the properties of garlic juice to inhibit bacterial growth.
Garlic contains supplements that help build healthy and solid bones. It can help decrease bone loss by expanding estrogen levels in females, which is excellent for bone wellbeing after menopause. Garlic helps prevent hip osteoarthritis-a joint pain that influences one’s capacity to walk. Its high substance of manganese encourages the arrangement of bone and connective tissue.
MORE HEALTH BENEFITS OF GARLIC
IMPROVES HEART HEALTH
Cardiovascular and heart attacks are the major cause of death worldwide. A research carried out shows that garlic reduces blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. You can add four cloves of garlic to your everyday diet or take dietary supplements.
PREVENTS COLD AND FLU
Allicin is believed to be a cold fighting compound in garlic, which has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Garlic helps boost the immune system and reduce the length of cold and flu symptoms. Study shows daily intake of garlic reduced the number of cold by 63%. The normal measure of time the lasted was reduced by 70%.
Garlic high in allicin increases blood flow in sexual organs in men and women by acting as a mild aphrodisiac. It ensures that the sperm count in men remains healthy, thereby enhancing potency in men. It is additionally wealthy in estrogen which increases sexual drive in women. Therefore eat in moderation to avoid garlic mood killing smell.
This article why garlic is good for you, has examined the incredible health benefits of garlic. The next time you hit the food or farmers market, consider adding garlic to your diet.
CAN GARLIC GO BAD; HOW TO STORE GARLIC
Can garlic go bad? No, if you know how to store garlic properly to enjoy it. While picking garlic bulbs, it is ideal to search for those that are fragrant and firm. Avoid picking garlic bulbs that have a dry skin, sprouting or damaged cloves areas. If stored properly garlic can last for considerable length of time without losing its flavor and maintain its healing properties. There are few ways to preserve garlic and enjoy them.
- MESH BAGS: Mesh bags are the easiest way to preserve your garlic at room temperature. The perfect temperature to store garlic is 60-550F (15-180C) air temperature.
- IN THE FRIDGE: Garlic can be stored in the crisper cabinet of the fridge, these deals with the dampness issue. Hence when garlic has been in the refrigerator, it will begin to sprout a few days after it is removed from the refrigerator. If you still want to use this technique, keep it in the fridge until you are ready to make use of it. Hence diced garlic or leftover peeled cloves can be stored in the fridge. The most ideal approach to store leftover garlic is to place it in a little, tightly covered container. It can last as long as about 14 days.
- IN THE FREEZER: Freezing garlic is a phenomenal alternative however; some people feel that frozen garlic isn’t as good as the fresh garlic. The snappiest method to prepare in the freezer is to peel the cloves into a blender, add little water and freeze it in the ice cube trays. Storing it in a water/air proof compartment in the freezer can preserve it for about a month without losing flavor.
OTHER METHODS ON HOW TO STORE GARLIC
- ROASTING: Simply cleave off the tip of the bulb, wrap them in a foil and sprinkle some oil. Place the bulb in an oven at 3500 F (1750C) for about 30minutes to 60minutes. When the bulbs are delicate squeeze the roasted garlic into an airtight container and store.
- PICKLING: Pickling garlic tones down the powerful, strong taste of garlic. This can be done by peeling garlic cloves with vinegar and salt and placing in the fridge. It can last up to several months.
- DEHYDRATE: Simply peel the cloves and cut the garlic into slim slices, then place into the oven at 1150F (450C) for about 30 minutes. Once it is crispy, store in an airtight container at room temperature. This can last for several months.
- GARLIC OIL: Garlic oil can be made by using dried garlic. Put slashed dried garlic in a container and add oil to make garlic seasoned oil. Store in the ice chest, it can last as long as 3 weeks.
However garlic can be diced and added to your servings of mixed green. It can likewise be added to your soups or juice with different vegetables. DO NOT store fresh, uncooked garlic in oil.
HOW TO AVOID GARLIC SMELL
- Eating fresh organic products like apple, mint or parsley can successfully cover the awful breath.
- Chewing gum can disintegrate food particles and microscopic organisms from your tongue and mouth all in all.
- Green tea is effective at decreasing smell from the breakdown of food in the mouth by microorganisms.
- Brushing and flossing can temporarily mask the terrible breath in your mouth by getting rid of garlic residue on your tongue, teeth and gum line.
- Lemon juice blended with water can likewise assist to reducing the odor in your breath.
WHY GARLIC MIGHT NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU
Just like everything garlic also has its health benefits and side effects. In this article we have shared only but few of the health benefits of garlic. Let’s look at the reason why garlic is not good for you.
- Utilizing garlic along with other herbal supplements like turmeric, ginger, horse chestnut and more can affect blood clotting.
- Garlic contains an enzyme called alliinase, which can cause serious skin irritation when applied to the skin. Thus it can damage the skin and cause burn, redness, swelling or blistering.
- Consumption of garlic in enormous quantities with blood-thinning medicines like warfarin and ibuprofen is dangerous. This may increase the risk of internal bleeding.
- Pregnant and lactating moms ought to abstain from eating garlic, as it may induce labor in pregnant ladies. Lactating moms should avoid it, as it alters the taste of breast milk and may harm a nursing baby.
- Garlic taken by mouth in huge doses might be harmful to kids or even fatal.
- Garlic is effective in lowering blood pressure. Inordinate utilization of garlic for individuals with low blood pressure can be harmful. As this might make circulatory strain become too low.
MORE REASONS WHY GARLIC MIGHT NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU
- Garlic can cause conception prevention pills to be less effective.
- Garlic doesn’t cause headache on the spot but consuming raw garlic can trigger the process.
- Excessive consumption of garlic for diabetic patients can make blood sugar too low.
- Garlic may cause fatigue, appetite loss, muscle aches, dizziness and asthma attacks.
- If you have stomach ulcer, digestion problem or bleeding, it is recommended you apply caution because garlic can initiate the gastrointestinal tract.
- Consuming garlic in large amounts may lead to vomiting and heartburn.
- While suffering vaginal infection, it is important to avoid eating garlic as it can aggravate the yeast infection. Thereby irritating the tender tissues of the vagina.
- If you have a scheduled surgery, dental work or medical procedure, stop taking garlic at least two weeks before surgery.
Presently doctors and pharmaceuticals are embracing garlic healing properties. The use of herbs and alternative medicine gets increasingly popular. The application of garlic in food and consumables has increased as well, the health benefits of garlic is enormous. There is already so much of what garlic does to the body as discussed in the article. Furthermore, a good example of what garlic does to the body can be seen in the Chinese culture and how they have drawn from these benefits through their existence along with other roots and fruits. When next you perceive that distinctive aroma, always call to mind the health benefits of garlic.